Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Brother, Uncle, Friend

A few times a year I post about my brother Matt. It's usually around his birthday and the anniversary of his death. In between that time, I see various posts from different friends on FB regarding the loss of their loved ones. I often get very teary eyed and begin to think about my own brother.
I miss him, he was a pretty cool guy. But I think that what really gets me is that my kids, 2 of the 3, will never get to meet the   "Uncle Matt," I say "the," because he was quite and entity. Making an impact on all who knew him, including my oldest daughter Miya. 
Miya was about 4 when her uncle died. I remember telling her that he went to heaven and that we would not see him again. I also remember hearing her sing about him being dead, like a sad country song with lyrics made from bits of information she would overhear. While he was alive, Uncle Matt spoiled Miya-sand boxes, with colored sand! Giant inflatable swimming pool, with bubbles and a big stuffed red Clifford dog, these were just a few of the gifts he would come home with. There was also clothes and smaller goodies, he thought about her a lot. She was loved by him.
I know that my 2 boys and nephew and niece would have been loved by him just as much. I am sure that the family camping trips, boating adventures and family holidays would have been filled with small feet being chased by the Uncle Matt. 
The loss of any family member is hard, it sucks really, and the more time that passes the more healing can occur, but it can also bring about new hurts too. Siblings were our first friends, the first line of defense against parental tyranny. Or so we thought. 
As I see my kids grow, I miss my brother more, in a different way. I miss the idea of my kids having another uncle. As I am sure all of us do who have lost a brother.
So in true country fashion, and because I am sure my love of Tim McGraw would have been the topic of many laughs, this one is for Matt.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Wly8pBuEE

No comments:

Post a Comment