Tuesday, August 27, 2013

So smart...not really?

True (and sad) story:
In my math class tonight, we were exchanging ideas on a list of math word problems, such as 3=F in a Y, so 3 feet in a yard or 18=H on a GC, so 18 holes on a golf course. Well I see this, 20,000=L U the S by JV, and this is a no brainer for me! So I say "this is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne." 
Both of the (much younger) student in my group say what? I repeat myself, they say how to do spell that? I spell it, by who? They say...I say Jules Verne, they ask how to spell that name. 
At this point I am a little dumbfounded.... But the real icing on the educational GMO cake? One of them says to me, "is that a song?" 
I couldn't help but laugh out loud.
My response? "...I guess it's a really old book..."
The 2 kids next me are Japanese and Science majors. Really!?! So smart an yet so dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment